Saturday, September 26, 2015

Generation M: Misogyny in Media and Culture


























A Film By Thomas Keith

Wow. Its stunning to see how mainstream everything is. I mean I knew about how things were with entertainment, but actually discussing the issue makes me a little uncomfortable. I makes me think about subliminal messaging (existing or operating below the threshold of consciousness; being or employing stimuli insufficiently intense to produce a discrete sensation...: a subliminal stimulus; subliminal advertising). The certain mainstream things can stimulate sexual activity and violence. The mainstream American entertainment hyper-sexualizes girls. The documentary puts that all together to tell the audience what happening in these modern times. However, the film does help give tools that help when talking about these issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEd2ZGLsUew












What do you all think about this topic? Do you think that it's subliminal as well? Also, why do you think that modern media is doing this to our generation?

4 comments:

  1. Really agreed with you as far as the idea of over-sexualization of women in the media. It's interesting, too, because you never really think about it until you see that it's going on around you. I think the topic is subliminal to an extent as well, but I believe modern media is doing this because it's profitable, as sad as that may be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah definitely. I believe that they are doing it to be profitable as well. And yes that's super sad. Our society is brainwashing the younger generation. Life is too short for that crap.

      Delete
  2. This is very disappointing because this does not help our world in any way. It has such a negative effect on young girls especially. I grew up with the idea that you had to weight a certain weight, and be a certain height to be considered "average." It bothered me for many years, one day I came to find out that I look the way I do for a reason. My dancer teacher told me that because I dance I will not be a skinny girl. She continued on by saying how that is not a bad thing. Dancers tend to have more muscle, so we may look different. Looking different should not be a bad thing, we are not made the exact same way so how can we grow up to look the same?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Answering your question about is modern media doing this to our generation? I absolutely agree that media is affecting our generation because I have noticed that children now a days have a different way of thinking about everything specially females. Almost everything on media shows women in a sexual way even in cartoons and is shocking that children and adult watch all of these things and are exposed to it everyday and everywhere.

    ReplyDelete