Sunday, October 4, 2015

U.S.A., Land of Limitations?

















Nicholas Kristof

I agree yet disagree with Kristof. I do agree that they should be talking about opportunity for future generations at presidential debates. However, I disagree with Kristof saying that America is not a land of opportunity. Yes our government is corrupt and strictly politics, what one isn't; despite that, any person can make it in the world. It doesn't matter where you came from, or who you are. The only reason I believe this is because there have been stories of people raising to get their shot. 

Now I could see this as feminist issue base one what we were talking about in class. Basically women do not get treated the same way as males do. It would be very hard for women to make it to the top of the business world based on the information Kristof has stated. I do agree slightly with the fact that women don't get many opportunities, but I still feel that they can make it if they worked for it; just as anyone can.

Kristof article connects to People Like Us in way that you are born to what ever you're born in to. But like I said it doesn't mean you pick up the pieces.

It seems like the program offers information on history, culture, and issues in the working field. The program is designed to give you a better insight on the working class studies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/09/opinion/sunday/nicholas-kristof-usa-land-of-limitations.html?_r=2













I would really like to know what exactly you all think about this topic. Do you agree or disagree with what I'm saying?

3 comments:

  1. I agree with him. America isn't the land of the free because you pay to live free and even then are you looked at as lower class now a days because of how much you have. Those who become rich through "connections".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also disagree about Kristof's statement, "We like to boast of America as the "land of opportunity." Perosnally, I was raised to take all I could learn from failed efforts. All that time and effort spent on a goal opens more doors of opportunities. It is like the life of an actor, they have to not get a callback to be cast in a show the next time they audition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it is a land of opportunity, it's just that some are exposed to more opportunities than others.

    ReplyDelete